- Text Size +

They walked through the door and into a corridor bustling with people, all of whom seemed to be carrying clipboards and talking on mobile phones, hurrying to get somewhere. Harry turned around to see that the doorway he'd just passed through had a large sign posted above it: “Warning: Active Port Room – Atención: Salida de Portuario Activo”. He couldn't help but stare at the people walking by. They ignored him for the most part, but smiled warmly at Manny. Particularly the women, Harry noticed.

They turned at the end of the corridor and climbed a flight of stairs, then walked through a doorway into what appeared to be a reception area. A sharply dressed young man sat behind a desk, and he looked up when they entered.

“Good afternoon, Mr. Padilla,” he said, and beamed at Harry.

“Hold my calls, Jack,” Manny told him as they walked by. “And let Ms. Montes know I have Harry Potter here.”

Jack's eyes snapped to Harry's forehead, but that was his only reaction. “Yes, sir.” He was already picking up the phone as Manny opened a door and gestured Harry through it.

Harry found himself in an office that looked quite a bit like he might have imagined a lawyer's office to look, except that it contained an odd mix of Muggle and Wizard technology. A laptop computer was open on the desk, next to a magical clock that displayed the time, date, weather, and probability of hailing a taxi in several large cities around the world. A pair of pigeons snoozed on a perch, ignoring their entrance, while a portrait of a grey-haired man nodded at Manny in greeting. The room was lit by fluorescent lights, but there were candlesticks here and there, with half-burned candles in them.

Manny tapped his wand against a silver coffee service on a counter, and it began to steam. He collapsed into the chair behind his desk and sighed. He looked up at Harry, but said nothing.

Harry looked past him, out a large window overlooking a street he realized was in Haight Fair. There were a hundred questions Harry wanted to ask, but he wasn't sure where to start. He turned to Manny at last, forcing himself to smile. “I still don't think you're a lawyer,” he said.

Manny smiled tightly. “Have a seat, Harry.”

No sooner had Harry sat than the door opened and a woman walked in. She appeared to be in her mid-fifties, with dark hair and eyes, and reminded him intensely of Minerva McGonagall. He stood again, uncertain.

“Hello, Mr. Potter,” she said, extending her hand. “My name is Cecelia Montes. I'm the director of the San Francisco office of the Federal Bureau of Investigation's Division of Magic.”

“FBI?” Harry asked, and glanced at Manny. Manny nodded, looking extremely tired. Harry shook Cecilia's hand, not certain if he should feel relieved or cautious.

“Please, sit,” Cecelia said, gesturing towards Harry's chair. She turned to Manny. “¿Qué le has dicho?”

Nada,” Manny replied, eyeing Harry coolly. “I'm not yet convinced we can trust him.”

Cecelia paused, turning to Harry and considering him carefully. Her dark eyes began to sparkle. “What happened today?”

Harry wondered if she was addressing him then, but it was Manny who replied. “Hannick revealed himself at last, and he admitted to everything.”

Cecelia's eyebrow lifted. “I hope you managed to record that.”

Manny picked up his wand murmured, “Simulo.” The sound of Colby and Harry's tense conversation filled the room, much to Harry's surprise. He had no idea how long Manny had been there in Colby's flat, or how he'd hidden himself, or how he'd found them in the first place.

Cecelia leaned against Manny's desk while she listened, tapping one finger against her temple. Harry was embarrassed by the intimate details revealed, but Cecelia and Manny didn't react. They finally exchanged a glance when Colby's voice said, “I'd already failed Lucius Malfoy once. I wasn't going to do it again.”

Silencio,” Manny said, and the recording stopped.

The room was quiet for a moment, and then Cecelia turned to Harry. “I imagine you have a few questions for us, Harry.”

Harry released a breath he hadn't been aware he was holding. “I don't know where to begin,” he replied.

“I'd like to know why he's here, first,” Manny said.

Cecelia nodded. “I'll send the squad out then, and leave you to it.” She smiled at Harry and left the room.

“Coffee?” Manny asked. It seemed to be an effort to break the tension between them.

Harry turned to him. “I know you don't trust me, Manny, and I can't say I blame you.”

Manny snorted and stood, moving to pour himself a cup of coffee. “After what you did to Draco this morning, why should I?”

Harry's eyes widened. “You've spoken to him? You know where he is?”

“Of course I do. Where do you think he went after you handed his heart to him on a plate?”

Harry sank down into his chair, feeling a painful mix of emotions. Knowing Draco was safe was an incredible relief, but the pain of the morning's fiasco was still very fresh in his mind.

Manny studied him for a moment, and poured another cup of coffee. “Cream and sugar?” he asked.

Harry nodded. “He's safe, then?” His voice trembled, but didn't break.

“Perfectly,” Manny replied, handing him the cup. He leaned against the edge of his desk and stared at Harry. “I'd like to believe you care about him, Harry, despite what you did to him.”

Harry opened his rucksack and pulled out the stack of papers. He hesitated for a moment, and then opened the folder. He had nothing to lose, at this point.

“I work for the Investigative Services department in the UK Ministry of Magic,” he said. “I was sent here to find Draco Malfoy after the CIA reported him missing. I'm not a field agent, so I assumed they'd sent me because I knew him personally. I had almost no information when I first arrived, and this” – he tapped the stack of papers with one finger – “was sent to me over the last week.” He rifled through the stack, and pulled out all the intelligence reports. He handed them to Manny.

Manny's brow furrowed as he thumbed through them. “Looks like CIA.”

“There's an articulation agreement,” Harry said. “They share intelligence with us, and we with them. Or at least that's what we both say.” He exhaled, realizing the degree to which he was breaking his security oath. No turning back now. He rifled through the remains of the stack. “At first, I just had a general directive to find out what was going on, and to try to convince him to return, but as time wore on, it became clear they wanted him back, no matter what.” He handed Manny the directive from Bass authorizing force.

Manny's eyebrows rose. “I heard about this one.”

“I imagine you did,” Harry sighed. “Along with this report.” He handed over more papers, and Manny nodded. “Draco saw all of that this morning. As luck would have it, the most important documents were still coded.” He spread the coded pages on Manny's desk and tapped them with his wand, uttering his decryption spell.

Manny's eyes widened as the jumble of letters morphed into English. “That looks a lot like Granger's public-key algorithm.”

Harry blinked at him in surprise. “That's just what it is.”

Manny whistled and picked up the page containing Harry's list of demands. “We're still using Data Encryption Standard, you know. Her work is incredible. I met her at a conference in Madrid a few years ago.”

Harry couldn't help the smile that spread across his face. “She's my best friend.”

Manny glanced up, surprised. “Draco said he went to school with her, but I always thought he was shitting me.” He returned his attention to the paper and snorted. “You have some serious cojones , Harry. How did they react to this?”

Harry described the phone conversation he'd had with Fallin, and showed Manny the parchment he'd received that morning. Manny stared at it for a long time, then stood and touched a device on his desk.

“Jack, could you ask Ms. Montes and Mr. Thompson to come down when they have a chance?” He returned to his seat behind the desk, staring at the parchment in his hands. Harry watched him silently, wondering if he'd done the right thing. He still had no idea what the FBI wanted with Draco, nor what part Manny played in everything. Harry was at their mercy now, certainly.

The door opened and two figures walked in – Cecelia Montes and a suited young man, who grinned when he caught Harry's eye.

“Hello, Harry.”

“Jeremy?” Harry gasped.

“Jeremy Thompson, CIA internal affairs,” he replied, offering his hand to Harry. Harry stood and shook it, trying not to gape. Jeremy winked at Harry, and nodded at Manny. “I hear the shit hit the fan while I was in DC.”

Manny snorted. “You have no idea. Have a seat.” Everyone settled into chairs. Harry realized that the number of chairs in the room always seemed to match the number of people who needed to sit. “I think it's time to bring Harry up to speed,” Manny said, glancing up.

Everyone seemed to be looking at Cecelia. She nodded, and Harry breathed a sigh of relief. They had decided to trust him.

“I think you know Draco Malfoy was working undercover in New York ,” Manny began. “He was officially an employee of the New York Bureau of Magic, but his charge was to present himself as a potential Death Eater contact.” Manny paused, and glanced at Cecelia, as if looking for permission to continue. “Essentially, he was undercover, posing as a double agent. He was good, too. He had every Death Eater in the northeastern US eating out of his hand, and some of the mafia as well.”

“But he wasn't really a double agent?” Harry asked.

“No,” Cecelia replied. “He fed them just enough intelligence to keep them from getting suspicious. It worked brilliantly, and we learned a great deal. We even managed to thwart several major attacks by Death Eaters as a result of the information he provided.”

Harry felt inordinately proud, for some reason. “What went wrong?”

“Lucius Malfoy,” Manny replied. “Apparently he learned that his son was making a name for himself in the US , and seized the opportunity to expand his own influence. Draco didn't want to blow his cover, so he took advantage of the fact that they'd been estranged for years. He told Lucius he wanted nothing to do with him. That's when Colby Hannick came into the picture.”

“He told me Lucius hired him to find Draco,” Harry said.

“He actually admitted to working for the Death Eaters?” Jeremy asked.

Manny nodded. “In so many words, yes. It's enough to bring him in, I think.”

“We dispatched a team to his residence ten minutes ago,” Cecelia said. “If he's still there, they'll take him into custody.”

“Wait,” Harry said. “You've been after Colby all this time?”

Manny looked thoughtful. “Draco was posing as a double agent for us, but he learned from his father that there were real double agents, working for both the Death Eaters and the CIA.”

“And that's where I come in,” Jeremy said. “The internal investigations office had been suspecting for months that we had a leak. Our investigation was going nowhere until we got a tip from Hannick himself, claiming he'd learned Malfoy was a double agent. My office was used to dealing with wizards, but we weren't prepared for Death Eaters and dark lords.” He shook his head, as if he still couldn't believe it.

“You're not a wizard?” Harry asked.

Jeremy smiled. “No. It's been quite an education.” Harry's look of surprise seemed to amuse everyone in the room.

“There isn't as much separation between the Wizard and Mundane communities here as there is in Europe ,” Cecelia told him.

Harry glanced curiously at Manny, who mouthed the word “Muggle.”

Jeremy shifted in his chair. “Our office was split down the middle as to whether or not Malfoy was the spy. I saw the evidence, but there was something about it that didn't sit quite right. Then Hannick was assigned to go to San Francisco , out of the blue.” He shook his head. “I convinced my supervisor to let me come out here and watch him. I'd never met him, so I figured I could get to know him, slip in under the radar...”

“But Jeremy and I had met before, when I worked in DC,” Manny grinned. “We recognized each other instantly, and then realized we were interested in the same person.”

“So we decided to cooperate,” Jeremy continued. “It wasn't long before I realized my office had been set up, and by then...”

“The CIA was convinced Draco was a spy for the Death Eaters,” Harry finished.

“It's much worse than that, though,” Cecelia said. “Draco discovered that the Death Eaters had infiltrated the CIA to an alarming degree. The mafia were pulling the strings in the Mundane divisions, and the Death Eaters were doing the same in the magical divisions. The web went deep, much deeper than we'd imagined.”

“To make a long story short, Draco was in danger,” Manny said. “He knew far too much, and his father was starting to get suspicious. We had to get him out of New York .”

“And you tried to hide him here?” Harry quipped, shaking his head. “He wasn't exactly living an inconspicuous lifestyle, you know.”

Manny snorted. “Everything was fine at first, and then Colby showed up. We pegged him for CIA almost right away, but what we couldn't figure out was how he'd found Draco so quickly.”

“The registration spell on his wand,” Harry remarked, pursing his lips. “We only found out about that when the CIA told us they'd located Draco in San Francisco .”

“That was big news here last week,” Cecelia interjected. “We knew it was a possibility, after the Patriot Act, but we had no idea the CIA could actually implement it as a way to track people. Our legal department is working on a challenge already.” She shook her head, her expression one of mild disgust.

“We thought some sort of dark magic had been used,” Manny shrugged. “We knew Colby wasn't a wizard, so we assumed he must have had some connection to the Death Eaters. It was Draco's idea to befriend Colby, to use him to investigate the Death Eater-CIA connection.”

“He used himself as bait?” Harry asked.

“Against my better judgment, of course,” Manny snorted, looking up at Harry. “When Colby started hanging around you, I was convinced you were working with him. We knew about the CIA-Ministry connection. But Draco insisted you had nothing to do with it.” Manny shook his head, and Harry couldn't tell if he was disgusted with himself or with Draco's faith in Harry. “And then two nights ago, one of our agents spotted Lucius Malfoy here in San Francisco . Draco went ballistic. He was convinced they were after you, and that Colby was trying to lure you into a trap.”

Harry winced, embarrassed that he'd been so easily fooled. “He was right. But why would Lucius Malfoy want me?”

Cecelia and Jeremy looked at Manny. “We aren't sure,” Manny said. “But I think Draco knows.”

“And he won't tell you,” Harry finished.

Manny shook his head. “He won't tell anyone.” His eyes drifted down to the silver bracelet around Harry's wrist. “I thought he might have told you.”

“No,” Harry replied. “He's told me almost nothing.” He stroked the bracelet, finding it calmed him. The room was quiet for several moments.

A sound not unlike the croak of a toad seemed to be coming from the desk. Manny touched a button, and they heard Jack's voice. “Sorry to interrupt. Ms. Montes, you're needed in the Ops Center .”

Cecelia nodded, and she and Jeremy stood. “I'd like a chance to meet with you again before you leave, Harry.”

“How about tomorrow morning?” Manny suggested. “He's leaving on the noon portkey to JFK.”

“No, I'm not leaving,” Harry interjected. “I can't leave now, not when there's so much at stake!”

Cecelia smiled at Harry. “I can assure you Draco is quite safe, but you are not. England is the safest place for you right now. Besides, I have a proposition for you that will require your prompt return. I'll have the details worked out by morning.” She turned and left, Jeremy at her heel, and Harry was left feeling like a schoolboy who'd been scolded.

Manny was quietly studying Harry when he looked up again. “You look exhausted,” Manny said.

Harry snorted. “So do you.” A question had been nagging him ever since he'd arrived. “How did you find me today?”

“The bracelet,” Manny replied, looking down at Harry's wrist. “Draco put a tracking spell on it before he gave it to you, and charmed it to go off the moment you came within ten yards of Colby.”

“Oh.” Harry swallowed, not sure how to respond.

“Even though he was angry and hurt, he made me promise to keep an eye on you,” Manny continued. “I didn't want to, you know. But he was right. As usual.” He smiled. “I ported into Colby's apartment, and a concealment spell was enough to hide me from him. I just waited to see what would happen. When I realized you really didn't know what was going on, I hoped he'd confess.”

“That he did.” Harry fingered the bracelet again, and it made him feel better. “I suppose I should commend you for your impeccable timing.” He smiled at Manny, who shrugged noncommittally in response. “So what happens now?”

Manny stood. “You're staying here tonight. We have some safe rooms upstairs. You look like you could use a shower and a change of clothes.” His nose wrinkled, and Harry felt self-conscious. “Are you hungry?”

Harry nodded. “I haven't eaten today.”

“Like Chinese?” Manny asked, and Harry smiled in response. “I'll have Jack order takeout for us.”

“Us?” Harry repeated.

“We still have a lot to talk about, Harry,” Manny sighed.


Jack opened the door of the safe room and gestured Harry inside. “You can put your laundry down the chute,” he said, pointing toward a panel on the wall marked ‘Laundry'. The housekeeping staff know some amazing cleaning spells, and they'll send it back pretty fast. I think the bathroom's got whatever you'll need.”

Harry dropped his nearly-empty rucksack on the bed. “Thanks,” he said, looking around. The room was small and plain, but comfortable enough. A bed with a nightstand and a lamp were pushed against one wall, and a small table with two chairs lined the wall opposite.

“Are you a vegetarian, or anything?”

Harry blinked at him. “Um... no.”

“Mr. Padilla said I should ask before I ordered take-out for you. Got any favorites?”

Harry shook his head. “Sorry. I'm a bit scattered at the moment. I'll eat anything, though.”

Jack grinned. “Let me know if I can get you anything , then.” He closed the door behind him.

Harry fell onto the bed, closing his eyes. He was tired, and drained, and oddly numb, despite everything that had happened today. He took a deep breath, caught a whiff of himself, and snorted. “Shower,” he mumbled. “Definitely need a shower.”

He stripped out of the t-shirt and jeans, and dropped them into the hamper. As they vanished from his sight, he wondered if he'd get them back before Manny returned. At least he'd be clean. He could probably transfigure a towel into a robe, if necessary. He stroked his stomach absently as he stepped into the bathroom, and realized there was a rough patch on his skin. He looked down.

Oh. He ought to have been a little disgusted at having dried semen on his stomach, but he wasn't. For a moment, he reconsidered the shower. It would mean washing away every trace of Draco, all evidence of what had happened between them. His numbness had started to fade over the last hour, and was being replaced by an intense sadness. He closed his eyes, but that only brought back the image of Draco sitting on the floor, staring up at Harry, surrounded by papers.

He found himself touching the bracelet on his wrist again, and stopped to look at it. His first impression had been that it looked like a snake, but now that he looked more closely, it was more of a botanical design, almost like a vine wrapped around his wrist. He probably ought not wear it in the shower, he thought, so he tried to tug it off. It had fit itself snugly around his wrist, though, and didn't seem to want to budge. He shrugged and left it alone.

The water pressure in the small shower was fantastic, and he stood under the hot spray for a long time, letting it pound down on his shoulders. He washed his hair and scrubbed at his chest, and tried not to think about the gentle sweep of Draco's soapy hands on his skin.

He shaved and brushed his teeth, and finally emerged from the steamy bathroom feeling renewed. He peeked in the laundry chute, but there was nothing there. He wasn't sure how they would send his clothes back. There was a small television set in the room, and he was delighted to find there was a large selection of channels available. He set it on CNN after surfing for a few minutes. More US soldiers had died in Iraq today, the anchor was saying. Harry turned the sound down and watched the ticker scroll across the bottom of the screen instead.

There was a knock at the door. He stood, uncertain what to do – he was completely naked, after all. He fished his towel from the floor and crossed to the door. “Yes?”

“Got your laundry,” he heard Jack say. Harry wrapped the towel around his waist and opened the door, relieved. Jack's eyes widened at Harry's appearance, just before he averted his gaze. He handed Harry a package wrapped in paper. “Mr. Padilla will be up in a few minutes, and he'll bring the food. Can I... uh...” Harry couldn't help smiling as Jack began to blush. “Do you need anything, Mr. Potter?” Jack forced his eyes up to meet Harry's.

Jack couldn't have been any older than him, and Harry found the honorific uncomfortable. “Please, just Harry is fine. And actually, I really need some underwear.” Harry tried not to grin at the expression on Jack's face.

“Okay,” Jack replied, eyes darting down to Harry's waist and back. “Boxers or briefs?”

“I honestly don't care,” Harry replied, and raised an eyebrow. “Your choice.”

Jack blushed even more. “Right. I'll... um... Yeah.” He turned on his heel and walked away.

Harry closed the door behind him, grinning. He wondered how many men had looked at him that way, before he'd realized how much he liked it.

He was dressed when the next knock came. This time it was Manny, carrying a bag of food and smirking in the doorway.

“Any chance you're responsible for the state of my assistant?”

Harry stepped back to let him in. “All I wanted was underwear. I didn't mean to offend him.”

Manny slapped a pair of white briefs against Harry's chest. “Oh, he wasn't offended.” He rolled his eyes and set the bag he was carrying on the table.

When Harry emerged from the bathroom – infinitely more comfortable – Manny had set out plates and several containers of Chinese food. He pulled a six-pack of Diet Coke from the bag and handed a can to Harry.

“What is it with Americans and sugar?” Harry groaned.

“Oh, you say that now,” Manny smiled. “Just wait til you hit thirty.”

They talked amicably as they ate, to Harry's surprise. Manny knew a good deal about Harry's past, it turned out. Much of it had come from research he'd done over the last week, under suspicion that Harry was working with the CIA against Draco.

“I have an FBI file?” Harry'd asked, stunned.

Manny had given him a funny look. “Of course you do.”

Some of Manny's knowledge had actually come from Draco, whom Manny claimed had been talking about Harry for years. “You have no idea how excited he was when you showed up,” Manny told him, picking up a bite of sesame chicken with chopsticks. “It was ‘Harry this' and ‘Harry that' for days.”

Harry surprised himself by smiling. “You've known him for a long time, then?”

“Ever since I moved to New York a few years ago,” Manny nodded, peering into the containers of food as if trying to decide what to eat next. “It was a... strange time in my life.” He studied a potsticker before popping it in his mouth.

“How so?” Harry asked. He wasn't curious about Manny so much as about Draco's life in New York .

Manny seemed to be thinking while he chewed. “You know, new place, all alone, didn't know anyone. Draco arrived in the States a few weeks later, and he worked under me for a few months.”

Harry snorted. “I'll bet.”

Manny ignored the comment. “Then he decided to take the undercover assignment. We kept in touch, even though his work was isolating and difficult. When he got into trouble last summer, he contacted me, and asked me to help him.” Manny paused and sipped his soda.

“So you came here,” Harry said, feeling his heart sink a little more.

Manny nodded. “We had no idea that we'd be found again so easily. I guess we thought we were just running away.” The word together wasn't said, but Harry heard it all the same.

“So, what now?” Harry asked. He put his chopsticks down, not hungry anymore. “What will happen to him?”

Manny sighed. “I don't know, Harry. But he is safe. We should've done it this way in the first place. He's just so fucking stubborn.”

It was as if a small light had come on in Harry's head. “He's being protected by a fidelius , isn't he? And you're his secret-keeper.”

Manny gazed back at Harry in response, expression guarded.

Harry sighed, and felt immensely sad. “I'm glad, really. He cares about you, and he trusts you, more than he'll ever be able to trust me.” He shook his head and stared at his empty plate. He'd managed to fuck things up for all three of them. “Look, I know it hasn't been the same between you and Draco since I showed up, and I'm sorry for that. Whatever happens after this, I... I won't get in the way.” The words felt as if they were being carved in his skin as he spoke them. I won't come between you. I won't come between you.

Manny continued to stare at Harry, though his expression had softened. “You really care about him,” he said.

Harry nodded. “Of course I do. But I want him safe, and happy, so if that means being with you...” Harry broke off, unable to complete the sentence.

There was a moment of silence, and Harry looked up to see Manny stifling a smile. “That's very noble of you Harry. But I have to say I'm not really Draco's type.”

Harry blinked at him. “What?”

“He prefers men who are... well, a bit more... gay.” He resumed eating, a hint of a smirk on his face.

“What, you mean you're not...?” Harry could only gape at him.

“Not gay, Harry.” Manny shrugged. “I gave it a shot, honestly. I mean, Draco is hot. I'd just gotten divorced when I moved to New York , and I went through an experimental phase. He kept flirting with me, and one day I just thought, what the hell?”

“Not gay ?” Harry repeated. “What about that time last week? He said you fucked him on the table.” It was an image that had driven him insane with jealousy.

Manny blushed. “Oh. Yeah. Well... He told you about that?” Harry nodded and Manny winced. “We'd made a bet, you see. He thought you were straight, and I thought you were just pretending to be straight, you know, to lure him in. So...” He made a sound like an uncomfortable laugh. “That was why I kissed you that night, to see how you'd react. And then you freaked out and left, so... He won.”

“And he won... you?”

“Yeah.” Manny seemed more embarrassed than Harry had ever seen him. “Anything he wanted, and he wanted... I worried it was a bad idea. It was fun, though, and it had been a while since I'd had sex with anyone other than myself. And I knew he was interested in you, so I may have said some things about you and him, while I was...” He ducked his head, blushing.

Harry smirked. “He actually lost that bet, you know.”

Manny grinned. “He can pay me back later. It turned out to be a good thing, honestly. He didn't freak out afterwards, so I knew he'd finally gotten over me. It sounds bizarre, but it actually made things easier between us.”

Harry shook his head. “I can't believe you're not gay.” He grinned, unable to help himself. “Not even bisexual?”

“I'm not even sure what that means,” Manny sighed. “We were lovers for several months, and the sex was fine, but... I just wasn't going to fall in love with another man. It was just sex for me, and he wanted more.”

Harry raised an eyebrow. “But I thought...” He seemed to have lost the ability to articulate his thoughts. “He wanted more ?”

Manny smiled, an endearingly lop-sided expression. “The whole non-commitment thing was part of the act, to lure Colby in. It was also a defense mechanism, I think. Meaningless sex was better than being alone, for him. He's really needy, you know.”

Harry was starting to feel a bit giddy now. “Oh my god,” he muttered. “He certainly had me fooled.”

Manny smiled, though it was a sad smile. “I wish I could have loved him back, but... I'm just not wired that way. It's been horrible watching him self-destruct these last few months. He's miserable, and lonely, and he hates it.”

“It doesn't have to be that way,” Harry said. “You'll show him the agreement, won't you? He can come back, and...” He paused, biting his lip.

There was a moment of silence, and Harry felt his emotions roil again. He shouldn't let himself think this way. He shouldn't allow himself to hope.

“He thinks he's falling in love with you,” Manny whispered.

Harry closed his eyes, willing the tears not to come.

“He was devastated this morning,” Manny continued, voice soft. “I've never seen him so upset. He said he wanted to hide away and never be found.”

Harry buried his face in his hands, overwhelmed. He'd come so close to having what he hadn't even known he'd wanted. But now... He chewed his lip, determined not to cry in front of Manny. He took a shaky breath.

Manny looked away. “I wanted to kill you, you know. But despite everything, he still wanted to make certain you were safe. He wants you to go home, where you aren't as vulnerable. He made me promise to take you to the portkey station myself.”

Harry's throat was burning, and he concentrated on breathing. He couldn't bear the thought of Draco being so hurt. “It was all a misunderstanding,” he whispered. “But it's too late now, isn't it?”

Manny sighed. “I'll talk to him, Harry. I'll show him the agreement from the Ministry, and everything that's been decoded. But I don't know if he'll risk it again. He has everything to lose.”

“No,” Harry replied, wiping at his eyes and looking up at Manny. “He has everything to gain. If he stays here, what kind of life would he have? He'd have to run forever. He'd always be alone.” Harry shrugged, and sniffled. “I can help him, Manny.”

“You think you can save him, don't you?” Manny's tone wasn't judgmental.

“I know I can,” Harry replied. “If only he'll give me a chance.”


Harry had The Dream again. He was walking down a darkened corridor at Hogwarts, though it wasn't the same corridor as usual. In fact, he realized he was close to the library. Ron was sitting on the floor somewhere below, near the dungeons. Harry wondered if he should go find him.

His lantern kept going out, and he stopped to relight it with his wand again and again, but he couldn't see much of anything. He kept walking. He turned around a corner and found himself staring at a huge door. He pushed at the door, but it wouldn't budge. He pointed his wand at it, and realized he'd forgotten the spell.


12 February, 2004: Thursday

Harry had put his only clothing down the laundry chute again before he went to bed the night before. To his relief, there was a paper-wrapped package lying on the table when he woke up. He showered and shaved, even though he didn't need to – he found the water pressure relaxing. Once dressed, he gathered up his belongings and wandered downstairs, hoping he could remember the way to Manny's office.

Jack met him halfway and took him to a small meeting room where Cecelia, Manny, and Jeremy were waiting for him.

“Coffee?” Jack asked. Harry shook his head. Even the smell of coffee reminded him of Draco, and he wasn't sure he could handle drinking it. He took a seat at the table, smiling at everyone in greeting.

“Sleep well?” Manny asked. Harry nodded, realizing that it was true. “We need to have you at the portkey station in a few hours,” Manny said, glancing at his watch.

“Well, let's get to business then,” Cecelia said, turning to Harry. “The Magical Division of the FBI doesn't currently have an articulation agreement with the Investigative Service of the Ministry of Magic. We'd like to change that.”

Harry nodded, considering his words carefully. “It isn't within my authority to form any such agreements on behalf of the IS, but I can pass the message along.”

“We were hoping you'd be willing to serve as a liaison between the two organizations, actually,” Cecelia continued. “Along with Manny, of course.”

Harry glanced at Manny, who was watching him carefully.

“I'll need to talk with Director Bass,” Harry said. “And Minister Fallin, as well. He has a rather strong relationship with the US Secretary of Magic, and I've had the impression he doesn't think too highly of the FBI these days.”

Cecelia and Manny exchanged a glance. Jeremy cleared his throat. “The political situation is complicated, to say the least. But the fact that I'm here demonstrates such agreements can work.”

“The IS and the FBI have cooperated in the past,” Manny said, “but it was years ago. We'd like to re-establish those ties, open an office in London , and share resources in order to better combat the Death Eater threat in both our countries.”

Harry sighed. “I'll do what I can to convince my colleagues. I'm starting to think our relationship with the CIA has blinded us.”

“I'd have to agree,” Jeremy said. “I won't presume to suggest there are Death Eaters working in your government, but–”

“I would,” Harry snorted. He wondered why it hadn't even been an issue recently, when it had always been a suspicion years before. They'd just been coasting along since the War ended, as if nothing was wrong. He'd been doing it too, he realized, lost in a haze of self-doubt and personal strife. “Shit,” he murmured. “What have we been missing?”

“We've been missing it too, Harry,” Cecelia said. “It's been too quiet for the last few years, and lately, we've become complacent. The Death Eaters stir up just enough trouble to keep us from getting suspicious, but I think they're planning something.”

“Something big,” Harry whispered. “Do you think Draco knows what it is?”

Manny sighed and turned to Harry. “I don't know. If he does, he isn't talking to us. He isn't talking to anyone.”

They were silent for a moment. “Colby Hannick escaped yesterday,” Cecelia said. “When the team arrived, there was no trace of him. We've kept surveillance on his apartment, but he hasn't returned.”

“Maybe he's dead,” Manny ventured.

“I doubt it,” Harry said. “Lucius Malfoy wouldn't kill someone so useful to him. Not yet, anyway.” He turned to Cecelia. “I do agree that our organizations can benefit from cooperation, though, and I'm willing to help make it happen. What terms did you have in mind?”

Two hours later, they'd written out a proposal for Harry to take back. He tucked it into his rucksack, which was otherwise empty. He was leaving behind all the faxed IS intelligence as a gesture of good faith. They'd also formulated a plan to begin investigating possible Death eater influence in the Ministry of Magic. Harry would be heading that investigation, with assistance from the FBI – and from Hermione and a few trusted colleagues, he hoped.

“We should get going,” Manny said as soon as Harry'd had a chance to say goodbye to Cecelia and Jeremy. Manny was portkeying to New York with Harry, for security reasons.

“I don't need a babysitter,” Harry grumbled, though he didn't mind the company. He hadn't yet faced the fact that he was going home, alone. Without Draco.

“No, you need a bodyguard,” Manny replied, with a glint of humor. “Can't have Death Eaters kidnapping you from JFK.”

They walked up to the port room together, Harry lost in thought along the way.

“You all right?” Manny asked as he pushed the door open. The room was empty, walls and floors bare. Harry remembered the anxiety he'd felt when he found himself there less than 24 hours before.

“Yes. No.” Harry shrugged. “I don't want to leave, not with everything so fucked up.”

Manny smiled. “I know, Harry. Give him time, all right?”

Harry wasn't sure he could remember where the portkey station was, so Manny offered to help him apparate there.

“Haven't done so many double-apparitions in years,” Harry grinned as he stepped into Manny's arms.

“You just can't keep your hands off me, that's all,” Manny teased.

“You're really not my type, you know,” Harry retorted.

It wasn't until they were standing in the Virgin portkey lounge that Harry realized he was really leaving. He hadn't let himself think about it all morning, but now, here he was. He'd be in London in half an hour. He took a deep breath, but it didn't help. If Manny noticed the abrupt change in his demeanor, he didn't say.

As luck would have it, it was the same agent – the woman who'd reminded Harry of Cho when he'd arrived – who greeted them. She was very pretty, Harry thought, though he didn't quite feel the same twinge in his gut now. He hadn't thought of Cho very much since he'd been here, actually. He glanced at Manny and saw his eyes were fixed on the woman's chest.

“You really are straight, aren't you?” Harry whispered when the woman turned away. Manny only blinked at him in response.

It wasn't necessarily easier for Harry to portkey with someone else – he still hated it. Some very powerful wizards could apparate across great distances, but Harry'd never really considered trying to learn. If he was going to be a liaison between the FBI and the IS, though, he might have to consider it.

The attendant handed Harry the portkey disc, warning him that they had one minute before departure. The disc was larger then the one he'd held when portkeying alone. He stepped into the painted circle on the floor, and Manny joined him, reaching out to grasp the other side of the disc. Harry kept his eyes fixed on the Virgin logo while he waited.

“Ten seconds,” the attendant chirped. “Have a nice trip.” Harry didn't respond, counting in his head. Eight seconds, and then he'd be in New York . Five seconds, and he'd be two thousand miles from here. Two seconds, and he'd have lost his chance to–

He felt his stomach lurch, and then he was battered against Manny for several long seconds until his feet hit a surface again. They were standing in a portkey lounge in JFK. Harry was disoriented, as usual, but Manny didn't seem affected. Americans must be used to portkeying all over their huge country , Harry thought. Manny handed the disc over to the attendant, who was welcoming them to New York in a tone that didn't indicate much enthusiasm for their arrival.

They made their way through the crowds of business travelers to the lounge for international departures, neither of them speaking. Manny stayed close to Harry and glanced about, but he didn't look overly worried. They found seats in lounge three, sitting far away from the other waiting travelers.

Manny began to chatter in a way that was almost out of character, telling Harry about his favorite restaurants in New York , apparently trying to distract Harry from his thoughts. It wasn't working.

“You know,” Harry interrupted when Manny began waxing philosophical about New York steakhouses, “I had hoped I'd at least see him again before I left.”

Manny blinked at him, surprised at the sudden change in topic. “It's not safe for him to go anywhere right now, you know.”

“Yes, of course,” Harry said. He suddenly couldn't bear the thought of being so far away from Draco. At least yesterday they'd been in the same city, as far as Harry knew, but now... He realized he was fingering the bracelet again, and looked down at it. “I really should give this to you to take back,” he said. “But I don't know how to take it off.”

Manny examined it for a moment and shrugged. “I have no idea. I never saw him take it off in the entire time I knew him. He showered with it, slept with it – everything.”

Harry felt a little shiver at the thought that he had something of Draco's – something so very important. “He said his mother gave it to him.”

Manny nodded and stroked it with one finger. “He told me it had been in his mother's family for centuries.”

“Oh god,” Harry groaned. “I can't possibly keep it!” He tried to pull it off again, with no success.

Manny put a hand on his, stilling his efforts. “Harry, I think he meant for you to keep it.”

Harry swallowed. Why would Draco have given him something so valuable, at the very moment when he thought Harry had betrayed him?

“Besides,” Manny grinned, “if he really wants it back, he'll just have to come and get it himself.”

Harry tried valiantly to smile.

Harry Potter to the departure gate please,” the announcer said.

Manny winced. “Let's just put a big fucking sign on you, how about?” They stood, and Harry sighed; he really didn't want to leave. “They're going to have people waiting for you, right?” Manny asked. He looked nervous.

Harry nodded. “Including Minister Fallin himself, I believe. Nothing to worry about.”

They walked to the gate. The attendant stopped Manny from going in, so Harry stepped back through the doorway and held out his hand.

“Thanks,” he said. “For everything.”

Manny ignored his hand and pulled him into a hug instead. “I promise I'll try to talk some sense into him, okay?” he whispered. Harry nodded against his shoulder, swallowing down the emotion that rose in his throat. “And I'll talk to you soon.” He released Harry and stepped away.

Harry managed to smile before he turned around and entered the gate.

“Thirty seconds,” the attendant chastised, pointing at the portkey disc lying on a table. She clearly didn't want to risk an accidental trip to London by handing it to him herself.

He took it and stepped into the departure circle. In less than a minute, he'd be back in London , and nearly on the other side of the planet from Draco. He had no idea if he'd ever see Draco again, and part of him wanted to drop the portkey, walk back out that gate, and imperio Manny into taking him to Draco.

“Ten seconds.”

He looked up and caught a glimpse of Manny's face through the open doorway. Manny smiled sadly and waved. Harry felt the familiar unsettling tug behind his navel, and he closed his eyes. He was batted around, wind and light swirling around and past him. It seemed to last longer than he remembered the trip before being, and he started to get nervous. Just as he was about to worry outright, everything slowed down and his feet gently touched a floor. Heathrow must have finally installed those landing buffers his colleagues had been talking about at the water cooler months ago.

“Harry!” He opened his eyes just before Hermione tackled him. She pressed herself against him tightly, her breasts crushing against his chest. He slid an arm around her waist, acutely aware of how different a female body felt against him. He closed his eyes again, inhaling the scent of her hair, still reeling from the effects of the transatlantic portkey. She squeezed him once more before she stepped back and glared at him. He winced, realizing he hadn't called her since he'd been kicked out of his hotel.

“I'm sorry,” he said, and leaned forward to kiss her on the cheek.

“You're alone,” she remarked. “What happened with Malfoy?”

“I need to see Bass and Fallin right away, and then I'll explain everything.”

“Hello, Harry,” Fallin said, peering around the door frame at him. He scanned the room as well, and seemed mildly disappointed to find it otherwise empty. “We thought we'd give Hermione a chance to chastise you for all the worry you've caused.”

“With good reason, sir,” Harry said, straightening his shoulders.

Fallin's smile faltered at Harry's expression. “I take it Malfoy slipped away?”

Harry shook his head in response. “I hope you're prepared to stay up late tonight. We have a good deal to talk about.”

Fallin's eyes narrowed. “It can't wait for morning?”

“I'd rather not wait,” Harry said. He turned to Hermione, who was staring at him curiously. “Can I meet with the senior staff tomorrow morning?”

She nodded. “I'll call them all tonight.”

Harry turned back to Fallin, gesturing towards the door. “After you, sir.”